Trade your cow level for a pony level.
Much like Diablo 2 had it’s ‘Cow Level’, Diablo 3 has a couple of different secret areas that you can explore. These secrets take a bit of doing to find so we’ve put together this guide so you can see it step by step.
Development Hell is a secret Dungeon Area found in the Fosaken Cemetary during Act One. This area contains normal Risen Dead except for the fact that instead of being called Risen Dead they are named after members of the Diablo 3 Development Staff. Their descriptions will denote each team member’s role in development and the game’s Director, Jay Wilson, will appear as an Elite enemy. Killing him will earn you the achievement “Smash! Jay Smash!”.
Development Hell can be accessed by entering any of the three doors in the area marked ‘Defiled Crypt’. Upon entering these doors you have a small chance to enter Development Hell instead of the normal Defiled Crypt area. People have said this can be done on normal difficulty, but the chance to land enter is either small or this is just a rumor. Try this on Nightmare Difficulty or above for a much greater chance to wind up in Development Hell.
Whimsyshire is a joke level that has been added to Diablo 3, it is thought, to mess with people who had originally complained that Diablo 3 was “too colorful” when they were shown the first screenshots. To access Whimsyshire you must craft the Staff of Herding which could take a lot of time. Here’s what you’ll need (keep in mind that exact locations are not always available due to Diablo 3′s dynamic dungeons:
1. Black Mushroom – This items spawns somewhere in the Cathedral Level 1 during Act One.
2. Shinbone – Spawns randomly in Leoric’s Manner, in the fireplace during Act One.
3. Liquid Rainbow – Spawns in the Mysterious Chest in the Mysterious Cave in the Oasis during Act Two. Save the old man and he will open the chest for you.
4. Wirt’s Bell – Sold by one of the merchants in the city in Act Two.
5. Gibbering Gemstone – A random drop from Chiltara in the Caverns of Frost in Act Three. This is located in the Fields of Slaughter, Ballistae fight area. If you enter and it is called the Ice Caverns, exit and try again until you get the Caverns of Frost.
6. Plans for the Staff of Herding – These drop randomly from Izaul in Act Four.
After you’ve gathered everything together you can craft the Staff of Herding for 50,000 gold and enter a land filled with unicorns, teddy bears and smiling clouds. Enjoy!