You’ve seen the trailer, now find out what else we know.
Gaming’s worst kept secret in April had to be the fact that Treyarch are working on Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which we’ve since confirmed with the debut trailer. Now, as new details emerge we want to give you a rundown of what we know about the specifics of the latest entry in the biggest series in gaming. Be warned the below will contain SPOILERS for those of you who haven’t completed the story in Call of Duty: Black Ops. You’ve been warned.
- Black Ops 2 will be a direct sequel and much like it’s predecessor it will feature multiple storylines in different time periods. Black Ops 2 will focus on the 80′s and the year 2025
- The future storyline will be based around a second Cold War over the mining of Rare Earths. If you haven’t heard of these, google it, this is a real world storyline that people are already talking about.
- Alex Mason is alive and will be playable in the 80′s. The story in the future will follow his son, David Mason. We will find out exactly what happened at the end of Black Ops.
- Drones will be controllable in the campaign and so will vehicles. (Here’s hoping that vehicles make their triumphant return in Multiplayer, come on Treyarch!)
- Here’s the big one: Your actions will affect the story. Missions will branch out based on your choices. Neat!
- No co-op in the campaign, once again. Sigh.
- During the campaign, hot spots will pop up allowing you to play side missions called Strike Force.
- These missions will be squad based with you issuing commands to the rest of your squad.
- Players will be able to hop between which unit is controlled; including soldiers, drones and tanks.
- Zombies will be back and will, once again, be co-op (number of players not confirmed, probably four again).
- There aren’t many specific details on the Zombies mode in Black Ops 2 but Treyarch have said there will be “more zombies” and “more modes”.
- Zombies now uses the multiplayer engine so this opens up the possibilities greatly.
- The only real, concrete detail we have on Black Ops 2 Multiplayer is that it will all take place in the 2025 timeline, with that timeline’s gear. The 80′s won’t factor in.
- Treyarch are re-examining create-a-class and killstreaks but didn’t give any real details.
There you have it folks, that’s all we know for now, we’ll have more on Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 as it becomes available. It’s great to see the folks at Treyarch straying from the comfort zone and trying to shake things up. Stay tuned for more!